- In recent years, with the rapid growth in industry and economy in developing countries, people’s demands for everyday conveniences have been increasingly growing. Examples: people living in the freezing cold northern part of the globe need coal fuel (or other types of fuel) to warm them, and cities need means of transportation in order to shorten the distance between them. If these readily available chemical compounds in the process of manufacture and use are not well regulated or properly discharged, then the gas emitted by these chemical compounds into the air will produce a large quantity of such air pollutants as particulate matters (PM2.5), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), sulfur dioxide (SO2), and nitrogen dioxide (NO2), all of which can dirty the otherwise clean air.
- People today are living among many hidden hazardous materials, which are threatening their safety and lives. What’s worse, the earth, upon which humans solely depend, is being faced with such damages as ecological changes, sea-ice loss, and global warming. It follows that these inadvertently caused damages will definitely make a huge impact on human health, living environment, and the global ecology.
- Powerchip Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp.(PSMC) has firmly believed in corporate sustainable management for the society’s development, and that it is the social responsibility of all corporations to maintain a good quality of life and a healthy ecological environment. A quality entrepreneur, PSMC has been undertaking the imperative mission to produce innocuous products in accordance with the environmental trend.
- To meet the international environmental regulations (e.g. WEEE, RoHS, REACH, Sony SS-00259, PPWD) and to provide clients with innocuous products, PSMC has established a hazardous-substance management system and a cadmium-free factory, both of which ensure that no prohibited substances are used in or mixed with our products and that no products are polluted by hazardous substances. All these efforts are made, hopefully, to reduce the possible impacts of our products on the environment, to satisfy the clients’ expectation of environmental protection, and, furthermore, to fulfill our corporate social responsibility.
- Also, PSMC and all its staff will work together to meet their responsibility for the environment and observe the environmental codes and regulations imposed by the government. In order to advance the concept of environmental protection and introduce it to providers, build up green supply chains, and to reduce the damages by pollutants to the environment. Besides, we object to using any minerals (e.g. Ta, Sn, Au, and W) that are extracted in ways of armed conflicts and human rights infringement, especially those imported from the eastern provinces of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Here we call for all our providers, our partners, who have dealings with PSMC, to join the campaign manifesto launched by the Electronic Industry Code of Conduct (EICC): "Do not accept any metals from the areas of conflict minerals." And we also call for all the raw material suppliers to be subject to the rules below:
- Fulfill social environmental responsibility.
- Ensure that no products are made from the minerals extracted in the areas of Congo, or in its neighboring countries being in armed conflicts, or extracted in a terrible working environment.
- Disclose the source of the minerals as such, and complete investigation forms.
- Convey PSMC’s policy of "Do not use any conflict resources." among the upstream suppliers and their supply chains.